Friday, May 28, 2010

GSE - Does the experience ever end?

I am still not sure if someone still visits this site. But as it is there and as I can still post to it, I am going on. The reason for going on is that there is so much happening even after the GSE tour is officially concluded. In fact, the tour is only the initial part of the GSE. The experience begins after the tour when you start talking about it.

Most colleagues at office are curious to know about my experiences. They have so many questions to ask and so much to share. There are people who have been to the States earlier. They now feel a new affinity for me. I was speaking to Parul Gupta from the ECE Department. We were good friends before and we shared many things during our brief interludes earlier.

I said hello to her after I came back and then we got into a conversation about the US, food, people, schools, education, life styles. She was on the east coast and we were able to share a few differences in what we observed and exchanged notes on how we were able to cope with life style changes. She was there in the States for about an year. Prior to that she was in Hong Kong and she was comparing how people in both countries respond to our food preferences. It was interesting to know about it. I am sure without this trip, this conversation would have never happened.

There are more such conversations to come. Both students and faculty members are curious. I am waiting for an appropriate occasion to speak. I have 4200+ photographs to show. Many more stories and anecdotes to share. I have just begun to realize that the trip was only a beginning. The real experience of cultures begins only now. The realizations, the comparisons, the arguments about right and wrong, the trials to remove misconceptions about several issues, the trials to understand our own culture in a much deeper sense, everything begins now. It happens usually over some time and is not fast paced.

There have been new found friendships, but existing relationships will alter. Now I know that my friends, my colleagues, my family, my students and all others around me will begin seeing me in a new light. Will observe the subtle changes in my behavior and my composure and make note of the same. They will all begin to say "He has changed". Some will like the change, some will not. Some will tell me they dont like the change or like the change and some will remain silent, as usual. But for me, the change is real and its for good.

If I think back, I am not the same person that went to US of A forty five days back. The change is internal, it is not visible at the moment. But gradually it will be externalized. The process of externalization has to be carefully managed. It has to be shown to people that I have changed and that change is for good. This is where I fell the trick now lies.

I am not sure, how I will manage the whole thing. The only thing that I have is hope and confidence. Hope that I will be able to manage and the confidence that my managerial skill will come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment